Zest up every day sweet potatoes with a touch of orange!
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 large oranges
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover the sweet potatoes with cold water in a large pot, and boil until fork tender. Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the orange juice, buttermilk, and butter to the sweet potatoes, and mash together.
- Add the honey, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and orange zest to the sweet potato mash, and blend until thoroughly combined and smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- To make the orange cups, cut each orange in half and slice a very thin disk from the bottom of each half (so they rest flat).
- Slide a spoon around the inside rim of the orange, and scoop out the pulp. Set aside for a snack or another recipe!
- Fill each orange half with the mashed sweet potato mixture, and place in a casserole dish.
- Bake until puffed and slightly golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool, and serve! Enjoy!
Please note, honey should not be served to children under 1 year of age.