Barney loves you and these Super-Dee-Duper purple potato dumplings too!
2 dozen dumplings
- Aluminum foil
- Cutting board and knife
- Frying pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mini-muffin pan
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoons
- Non-stick cooking spray or mini baking cups
- Potato peeler
- Rolling pin
- 2 whole-wheat pie shells
- 1 1/4 cup Peruvian purple potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can, 10 3/4 ounce cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- Let dough come to room temperature.
- Peel and prepare purple potatoes just like regular potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes and cook in a frying pan with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1/4 cup water until soft, but not mushy.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together vegetables, cornstarch, cream of chicken soup, and cooked chicken to create the dumpling filling.
- Spray the muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, or use mini baking cups.
- Roll 1-inch balls with bits of pie crust and put one ball into each muffin cup.
- Use fingers to press the dough firmly into each muffin cups, so that it is about 1/4-inch thick, creating a little cup.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of your filling into each dumpling cup.
- Cover loosely with foil so tops don't get too well done.
- Bake at 350 degrees Farhenheit for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil after the first 20 minutes of cooking. They are finished when dough is slightly golden and firm.
- Cool and serve. If you have leftovers you can freeze and eat them later! Better yet, share them with your friends and neighbors!