A very special breakfast meal from a very special Sunny Side Up Show guest!
- Pie pan or wide, shallow mixing bowl
- Skillet or grid
- Cooling rack (optional)
- Cookie sheet (optional)
- 8 to 10 slices stale bread (recommended: thick-sliced Pullman brioche loaf)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (powdered or freshly grated)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey, warmed in microwave (optional)
- Vanilla beans (optional)
- Whole cinnamon-stick branches (optional)
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the eggs and milk in a pie pan/mixing bowl, and beat lightly with a fork.
- Stir in salt, cinnamon, vanilla (extract or seeds scraped from beans) and honey (optional) to your egg mixture, and blend together until evenly combined.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing it to soak thoroughly for at least 5 seconds on each side. Egg-washed slices can be set-aside on a cooling rack while you prepare your skillet. Lay a cookie sheet under the cooling rack to catch any drippings.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in the skillet. (Optional: Reuse the deseeded vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks by adding them to the melted butter in the skillet.)
- Transfer the egg-washed bread slices to the warm skillet, and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Prepared Frenched Toast can be kept warm on a plate in the oven until you are ready to serve.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all bread has been cooked.
- Enjoy your Frenched Toast together with butter and maple syrup!
*Made by Chef Richard Blais on The Sunny Side Up Show*