Let's fly a kite! Make your own kite using materials found outside.
- 2 straight (but light) sticks from the garden - one longer than the other
- 1 small plastic bottle
- 1 plastic bag (from loaf of bread)
- Clear adhesive contact paper, cut into 2 rectangles (one larger than the other)
- Petals, leaves or other items found outside
- Safety scissors
- Fold the adhesive paper into a kite shape and cut out to make a kite.
- Make another kite shape about 2 centimeters smaller all-around using the adhesive paper.
- Place two sticks on to the adhesive paper - the longer stick going from top to bottom point of the kite and the shorter stick going from the side to side points of the kite.
- Leave a 2 centimeter gap from the top and bottom of each stick to the edge of the sticky back plastic.
- Using tape, tape the sticks together in the middle making sure you keep them straight.
- Next, tape a length of string to the top of the vertical stick and frame it around each corner of the sticks to make the outline of a kite.
- Tape the string to the end of each stick.
- Tape the larger piece of adhesive paper, sticky side up - to the table.
- Stick on petals, leaves and other items found outside to decorate your kite. Make sure to stick them on face down. Do not stick anything around the edges (leave about a 2 centimeter border).
- Now, using the smaller piece of adhesive paper, peel off the backing and stick on top of the larger piece, leaving 2 centimeters around the edge.
- Place the two sticks on top of the adhesive paper and fold the remaining edge of the adhesive paper over the string to make a kite shape. You can secure the ends of the sticks with some tape if needed.
- To make the tail of the kite, take the plastic bag and cut strips from the opening, down to the bottom, but do not cut all the way through the bottom.
- Roll this from one side to the other from the bottom end and secure with some sticky tape.
- Now attach the tail to the bottom end of the kite using tape.
- Tie a short piece of string from one side to the other side of the horizontal stick.
- Take a really long piece of string and tape one end onto a plastic bottle and wind it around until all the sting is around the bottle.
- Tie the end of this string to the middle of the string that you tied onto the horizontal stick.
- Now all that is left to do is go fly your kite in the wind.