- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 package dry yeast (1/4 ounce envelope)
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 5 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Ketchup, mustard, or melted cheese (for dipping)
- Baking sheet
- Hand mixer or mixer with a dough hook
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoons
- Parchment baking paper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water. Add 1/4 cup raw sugar.
- Transfer to a mixer or large bowl if using a hand mixer.
- Add flour to the liquid mixture a little at a time until the dough is completely blended together.
- Break into 1 1/2 inch chunks and roll out into tubes about 8-10 inches long. (Tip: Sprinkle a little flour on the surface where you will be rolling and twisting the pretzels.)
- Fold into the shape of a heart, making a "V" then twisting the tips together, pressing down to form a pointy tip at the bottom and at the top center. (Tip: Keep the pretzels about 4 inches wide)
- In a large pot, mix baking soda and 10 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, and drop each pretzel into the water for about 45 seconds then remove it with tongs and a spatula.
- Place on parchment on a baking sheet.
- While damp, sprinkle the tops of the pretzels with kosher salt.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden.