- 8 slices of whole grain bread
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 6 thin slices of lean deli meat (e.g. turkey, chicken, ham)
- 4 cheese slices
- 1 leaf lettuce
- Alphabet cereal (for decorating)
- Remove crusts from bread. These will be the book covers.
- Using back of the bread and a butter knife, make 2 long indentations across the bread for the books spine.
- On the opposite side, spread with mayonnaise.
- Layer the sliced meat and cheese into 2 piles. These will be the books pages.
- Cut the lettuce into a very thin slice and place between one of the book pages. This will be the bookmark.
- Cut the piles into rectangles that will fit inside the bread book covers.
- Position the ‘pages’ onto one side of the bread cover, fold the other side of the bread cover over and gently press together.
- Decorate the front ‘cover’ with alphabet cereal. Stick on with more mayonnaise.