- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen blackberries, clean, dry, and cut into small pieces (Note: whole blackberries are a potential choking hazard)
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1 pastry dough sheet
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board and knife
- Gallon size plastic bag
- Large serving dish
- Parchment baking paper
- Pizza cutter
- Lay the pastry sheet on baking parchment on cutting board. Roll flat with rolling pin then transfer carefully on parchment paper to baking sheet.
- Trim edges with pizza cutter to form a rectangle or flag shape.
- Use the pizza cutter to make a grid on top on the pastry sheet like a checkered racing flag. Don't cut all the way through. Press just hard enough to create the lines.
- Bake pastry sheet according to package directions. About 15 minutes, until light golden. Allow dough sheet to cool completely and transfer to large serving dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon extract, and powdered sugar together until smooth.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread the cream cheese mixture onto the cooled dough sheet lightly.
- Make checkered flag pattern by putting blackberries in alternating squares as pictured.
- Put remaining cream cheese in plastic bag.
- Trim a tiny corner off. Squirt it in between blackberry checkers, layering a little at a time in each space so that you make sure you have enough for all the spaces.
- Add a line of the cream cheese spread down one side and put blackberries in it to make a flag post
- Chill 2 hours and serve. Everybody who tastes this yummy treat is a winner in this race!