- 1 cup instant arepa flour (masarepas or pre-cooked white cornmeal)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup queso fresco
- Sliced ham or turkey
- Mixing bowl
- Cookie cutter
- Frying pan
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add water and butter to flour mixture while stirring. Mix thoroughly.
- Add queso fresco and mix to combine.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead until pliable.
- Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter or lid top, form four, 1/2-inch-thick disks.
- Add vegetable oil to just cover the bottom of the pan.
- Heat oil over medium heat until it starts to sizzle.
- Add the arepas and fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- Remove arepas, place on plate lined with paper towels, and season with salt.
- Split each arepa in half horizontally and add fillings or leave whole and serve “open face” by placing additional ingredients on top.