- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 5 cups peeled, sliced apples
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose
- flour 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In medium bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Add butter by cutting into flour mixture with pastry cutter until butter is the size of small peas.
- Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time mixing well after each addition. Dough will form a ball when enough water has been added. Gather dough with dry hands and form into ball.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- On lightly floured board roll dough into circle. Place in 9-inch pie pan. Pinch edges of crust if desired or press edges with fork.
- Mix filling ingredients together in separate bowl. Mix topping ingredients in another bowl.
- Place filling in crust; sprinkle on topping. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Makes one 9-inch pie.