- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced and diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1-2 teaspoon mild chili powder (or more, to taste)
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can of pinto beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 9-ounce box of frozen corn
- 8 whole wheat hotdog buns
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cutting board and knives
- Large pot
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Dice onion, bell pepper, green pepper, and celery.
- Heat a large pot over high heat and add the oil, spreading it so that it evenly coats the bottom of the pot.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion, red bell pepper, green pepper, celery, and turkey. Cook, stirring often, until the turkey has lost its pinkness and is cooked through - about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chili powder and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, oregano, and salt and stir well to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the frozen corn, stir to combine, and cook 10 minutes more.
- Spoon 3/4 cup chili into each bun and place 4 cherry tomato halves as wheels.