For the spread:
- 3/4 pound roasted eggplant
- 3 tablespoons scallions
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- Kosher salt
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 15 ounce can chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 4 tablespoons sesame tahini (sesame paste)
For Babu's Face:
- 3 tablespoons sliced black olives (for eyes and nose)
- 3 tablespoons sliced tomato (for mouth)
- 3 tablespoons. breadcrumbs (for face stripes and center of ears)
- 1/2 whole wheat pita (to make ears and hair)
Optional garnish for dipping:
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Medium whole black olives, pitted and sliced
- 12 ounce pack whole wheat pita
- Food processor
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board and knife
- Mixing spatula
- Serving plate
- Serving bowl
- Pastry brush
- Safety scissors
- Cut a slit down the center of the eggplant, press slightly open, brush inside and out with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and roast at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until all sides feel squishy when pressed with a fork.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for at least two hours.
- Add scallions, minced garlic, and parsley to a food processor and chop.
- Continuing to add to food processor, mix in tahini, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chick peas and blend.
- Mix in chili powder, cumin and salt to taste. Set aside.
- Peel cooled eggplant by hand. Turn the eggplant inside-out through the slit and pull all of the eggplant off of the peel. Discard peel.
- Add eggplant to mixture in food processor and blend thoroughly.
- Using a mixing spatula, scoop the Babu-Ganoush into a serving bowl.
- Cut up pita wedges to lay on plate around the bowl.
- To create Babu's ears, cut two pieces of pita in half circles.
- To make Babu's hair, cut a few very thin slices of pita.
- Use olives to make eyes and a nose, and sliced tomato for Babu's mouth.
- To create Babu's stripes on his face, sprinkle breadcrumbs with your fingers. Sprinkle a pinch of chili powder if desired.
- You're an artist, you just made Babu's face!
- Add garnish for dipping in a plate around the bowl of Babu's face! Chill, serve and enjoy eating as a healthy snack, or a lip-smacking good vegetarian meal