- 1 red pepper, cut in half with seeds removed
- 1⁄2 cup quick cook brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup canned mixed vegetables, no added salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Decorative cabbage
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board & knife
- Cooking pot
- Mixing spoons
- Slotted spoon
- High-sided baking dish
- Pastry brush
- Large serving plate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil (don't add peppers yet).
- In a smaller, separate pot, cook brown rice in vegetable broth according to package directions, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blanch red pepper halves in boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and place into a high-sided baking dish.
- Stir mixed vegetables into prepared brown rice. Season with pepper and parsley.
- Spoon rice mixture into each pepper half. Brush tops lightly with olive oil, squeeze lemon to taste and sprinkle with grated cheese (approx. 2 tablespoons cheese per pepper).
- Place baking dish into oven and cook until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted and golden, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer the peppers onto a large plate and put the cabbage on top in a criss-crossed pattern to look like the laces on a ballet shoe.