To make the clay:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2cup salt
- 1 cup warm water
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
To make the cup and saucer:
- 1 plastic container (from sour cream or ricotta)
- 1 small plastic lid
- 1 small plastic container (from yogurt)
- 1 small bowl with warm water in it
- 1 plastic mat for rolling clay
- Paints in different colors
- Paint brush
- Plastic bottle (to use as a rolling pin)
- Craft glue
To make the clay:
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Slowly add the warm water. Mix well.
- Knead together until it forms dough. Add a few drops of water if the mixture is too dry, but not too much to prevent it becoming sticky.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth when not using it.
To make the saucer:
- Roll a piece of clay into a ball.
- Using the side of a bottle, roll it over the clay until flat.
- Using a round plastic ricotta container, push down onto the clay and remove the excess. This will leave you with a circle for the saucer.
- Push a small lid into the middle of the saucer (not all the way through) to make an indent where the cup will sit.
- Let dry (this may take up to a day or two).
To make the cup:
- Roll out another piece of clay.
- Position a yogurt container in the middle and mold the clay around the pot. Remove the excess at the bottom.
- If the clay is too dry or you wish to smooth any cracks, dip your fingers into a bowl of warm water and smooth over the clay.
- Mold the clay to make the cup shape.
- Take a small piece of clay and roll it like a sausage to make the handle.
- Stick this to the side of the cup by dipping your fingers into the water and dabbing onto the ends of the handle. This should make the ends sticky and make it easy to stick to the cup.
- Let dry.
- Once dry, you can decorate the cup and saucer using paint mixed with craft glue. Let dry once finished.
- To make polka dots - dip your finger in paint and paint dots on your cup and saucer. Let dry.
- For a tray, use a strawberry container and line with a paper napkin (optional).
- Place your tea cup inside the tray and take to your tea party.