- 1 cotton pillowcase
- 2 medium beets
- 2 cups white vinegar
- Large pot
- Rubber bands
- Prepare your pillowcase by mixing two cups of vinegar with eight cups of water in a large pot. With the help of a grown-up Sprout, simmer your cotton pillowcase on low heat for an hour.
- Rinse with cold water and set your pillowcase aside.
- With the help of a grown up Sprout, wash and cut the beets.
- Add the beets to the pot along with four cups of water. Have a grown-up Sprout heat the mixture over medium low heat.
- Use rubber bands to bunch and tie off sections of your pillowcase. This will prevent the dye from coloring those spots and will result in a cool pattern on the pillowcase!
- Add the pillowcase to the pot of dye and simmer for an hour.
- After an hour, turn off the heat and allow the mixture to come to room temperature.
- Squeeze the excess dye from the pillowcase and remove rubber bands to see your design!
- Once dry, your colors will be lighter than they started. Wash separately in cold water.